City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records
City of Fairfield, Ohio
City of Fairfield offices will be closed for Independence Day on Tuesday, July 4

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to common questions asked concerning Public Utilities, Water and Wastewater:

Why is my utility bill higher than normal?
If your utility bill is higher than usual, a number of reasons could be the cause. Have you used water for outdoor purposes, such as a pool fill or watering the lawn? Have you had company or increased the number of people living in the home? Perhaps there is a leak that is causing your water usage to increase. Please select the Billing Information Link for more details on utility charges and high bill investigation.

Why does sewer cost more than water?
The sewer rate is higher than the water rate because it is more costly to treat contaminated wastewater than to deliver clean water to residents. For more information on the City's utility rate structure, click here.

Who should I contact if I experience problems with my water?
Please call the Utility Billing Office at (513) 867-5370 if you wish to report water problems Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.  For water emergencies after normal business hours, the Water Division may be reached at (513) 858-7775.

Who should I call if I have a sewer backup?
​Contact the Wastewater Treatment Facility at (513) 858-7760 if your wastewater emergency occurs during the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Your call will be answered by a Wastewater professional, and if needed, a crew will be dispatched to your home or business in a timely manner.  (During heavy rain events, calls will be responded to in the order they are received.)  

During the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., contact the Water Plant at (513) 858-7775.  The Plant Operator will forward the information to the proper Wastewater personnel, who will then respond to the call.


My trash was not picked up, who should I call?
Rumpke provides the trash collection services for the residents of Fairfield. If your trash was not collected on the regularly scheduled pick-up day, please call Rumpke at (513) 742-2900.

Who should I call about storm sewer or ground water problems?
The City's Public Works Department maintains storm sewers. (Storm sewers are identified as the large grates in streets and near curbs.)

Who should I call about odor problems in my home?
You may contact the Wastewater Treatment Facility at (513) 858-7760 to ask questions about odors. A collection system employee will answer your questions and, if needed, send a crew to your home. The employee will also be able to tell you if the collection system is cleaning lines in your area that may cause a temporary odor. Most odor problems are caused by a dry trap, and adding water to all your traps usually eliminates the odor.

Is my home or property connected to the sanitary sewers?
To find out if a specific home or business is connected to the City of Fairfield's sewer system, please call (513) 858-7760.

Why are chemicals added to our water?
The City adds chemicals to the water for many reasons: first to help soften the water, and secondly to provide a safe and helpful water. Some chemicals also help to protect the pipes and mains. Lime and soda ash are added to help soften the water, chlorine is added for destruction of harmful bacteria in the water, and fluoride is required by the state to promote sound teeth with high resistance to decay. Fluoridation is only a supplement to the natural fluoride already found in the water. Phosphate is also added to help keep minerals in suspension, so they won't drop out and cause deposit on the mains and in your pipes at home.

Should I buy a home water softener?
The choice to buy a home softener is a personal choice. The Fairfield Water Plant produces balanced water that is moderately hard. The water is balanced to promote neither depositing on the pipes, nor corrosiveness to piping. The benefit of a home softener is an appreciable savings in the consumption of soap and cleaning action. The disadvantage is is that zero water hardness is corrosive. The homeowner should monitor and blend the water to protect piping. The Water Plant neither promotes nor discourages the use of home water softeners.

How should I report a leaking fire hydrant?
To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant, contact the Water Division at (513) 858-7775.

How should I dispose of tree limbs or brush?
The city offers a call-in brush pickup service. For larger limbs, please visit the Operation Dump Truck page for more information.

How should I dispose of my old large appliances (e.g. washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher)?  Contact the Butler County Solid Waste District at (513) 887-3653, or visit

How should I safely dispose of hazardous materials?
Please contact the Butler County Solid Waste Management District at (513) 887-3693 or visit for detailed information on hazardous waste disposal. 

How should I safely dispose of unused medications or controlled substances?
Contact the Fairfield Police Department at (513) 829-8201 to inquire about residential unused drug drop off days, or visit the Food and Drug Administration website for more information.

Utility Billing
City of Fairfield

5350 Pleasant Avenue
Municipal Building Room 113
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 867-5370 (phone)
(513) 867-5329 (fax)

Public Utilities
City of Fairfield

5021 Groh Lane
Fairfield OH 45014
(513) 867-5375 (phone)
(513) 867-5329 (fax)